The R. Barbara Gitenstein Library at The College of New Jersey is committed to treating all people with respect, dignity, and equity. This commitment reflects a broader dedication to inclusiveness by the college as well as a long-standing commitment within the library profession. As an early step, the library has emphasized inclusiveness by positioning it as an overarching goal in its strategic map. Gitenstein Library continuously strives toward increased inclusiveness, diversity, and equity, informed by, but not limited to, TCNJ Academic Affairs’ TCNJ 2021: Bolder, Better, Brighter and the American Library Association’s Diversity Policy. We further recognize that diversity among library employees can significantly contribute to an inclusive library experience for students, faculty, and community users. To this end, Gitenstein Library strives to create and maintain a working environment that embraces diversity among all library employees.
We strive to be more inclusive in the following ways:
- Identify initiatives and design programs that highlight inclusiveness, diversity, and equity
- Create a welcoming environment of civility and respect built on professional and courteous user service
- Provide universally accessible facilities and technology platforms
- Build collections (physical or digital) that represent the diversity of the human experience
- Create opportunities for library employees to increase cultural competencies
- Collaborate both within the library and across campus to promote wider understanding and application of inclusiveness
- Develop a variety of outreach initiatives to engage TCNJ and the greater community
Approved unanimously by the Library Strategic Planning Committee, July 10, 2019.