For print materials you want to place on reserve:
- We will search for multi-user licensed e-book versions and, if available, link them to your Canvas course shells
- For assistance, please contact email@example.com
For videos or recordings you need for classes:
- We will search for streaming versions of those titles.
- Please email titles and the date(s) they are needed (if known) to firstname.lastname@example.org
What are course reserves?
- TCNJ Library-owned or instructor-provided material that support the teaching and learning at TCNJ.
What are media holds?
- Date-specific, in-class screenings of TCNJ Library media items. Submit media hold requests through the online reserves form. For specific questions about Media Services, please contact
What can be reserved?
- Recommended or supplemental material
- Books (that will be used in student assignments)
- Media (CDs/DVDs/VHS)
- Photocopies of journal articles or book chapters can be scanned and placed in your Canvas course shell
We highly recommend no more than 40 books be placed on reserves per class, per term
What cannot be reserved?
- Required textbooks, other than those already owned by the library or provided by the instructor.
- Items received through interlibrary loan
- Materials from Archives, Periodicals, or Reference Collection (Photocopies of journal articles or book chapters can be scanned and placed in your Canvas course shell)
- Entire books cannot be photocopied and placed on reserve or made available electronically
How do I place items on reserve?
- Please provide us with a complete citation of the items (ie Author, Call #, Title) on the request form. For longer lists of items, attach .pdf or Word file to Reserve form. Items not already owned by the library may be requested. TCNJ Library can only order one copy of an item. A second copy may be requested against your department’s regular library allocation. “Rush Reserves” must be indicated with the request. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.
Can I bring in my personal items for reserves if the library doesn’t own the item I need?
The Reserve Departments will purchase items needed for course reserve if they are not already owned by the Library.
Personal copies: In the event that the Library is unable to obtain a copy of an item needed for a course, a personal copy can be placed on reserve. To place a personal copy of a book on reserve, fill out the reserve request form and be sure to note: “Dropping off Personal Copy.” (Bring materials to the Access Services Desk with a note for the Reserve Department. Reserve List/ Personal Copy Release Form must be signed for.) Personal material that is irreplaceable should not be placed on Reserve. TCNJ Library is not liable for any lost or stolen material.
Please label personal materials with your name and course number.
We cannot accept materials recorded off the air, or copied or compiled tapes without the written permission of the copyright owners.
What are Streaming Audio Reserves?
Streaming Audio tracks (e.g. music) can be made available to students through Canvas for the length of a course. All material placed on Streaming Audio Reserve must be owned by Gitenstein Library and in the collection at the time of processing.
All Streaming Audio will be uploaded in individual tracks. Due to copyright and fair use restrictions, anthologies cannot be digitized. Please allow two weeks for processing.
To request Streaming Audio reserves, use the <link here>Media Reserve Request form </link to form>. Contact Katy Robinson, Printing and Design Services Supervisor, with any questions about this service.
How long does it take to process reserves?
- 2-3 days for material already owned by the library.
- 4-6 weeks should be allowed for new items ordered.
All course reserves (including personal copies) will be removed at the end of each term to be re-shelved back into the General Collection or returned to the owner. Processing to remove items will begin after the term ends.
What are the categories of reserves?
- 3 Hour Loan (in-library use only)
- 2 Day Loan (item leaves library for a full 2 days)
- 7 Day Loan (item leaves library for a full 7 days)
What are my responsibilities as a faculty member?
- Please submit your reserve requests as far in advance of the start of the term as possible.
- If material requires binders, these must be provided by faculty member.
- Confirm material listed on course Syllabus is actually on Reserve.
Who do I contact about reserves?