The Library hosts the Laptop Loaner Program to support and further enhance students’ educational pursuits. Several Dell laptop computers, each with A/C adapter, and optional Ethernet cable and carrying case, are available to TCNJ Library users for a restricted number of hours, for in-house use only. Laptops come equipped with Windows, Microsoft Office and other software typically found on lab computers. Access to the TCNJ Library catalog, and library databases is included. A borrower is financially responsible for the full replacement cost of a laptop computer and peripherals if lost, damaged, or stolen during the checkout period.
The program is available to current students and faculty/staff of The College of New Jersey (including retired faculty members).
- Laptops are loaned on a first-come first-served basis for in-house use only during the Library’s operating hours (excluding extended study hours). Advanced reservations are not available.
- Laptops may not be borrowed overnight and may not be removed from the Library.
- When all laptops are in use, a person may place a hold for the next computer available.
- Only one laptop at a time may be borrowed by an individual.
Period of loan
- Loan period: 3 hours
- Renewal period: 3 hours
- Maximum no. of renewals: 1 (if there is no one waiting)
- Loaning ceases 1 hour prior to the scheduled Library closing time; all checked-out laptops must be returned to Access Services one-half hour before the Library closes.
- Late fees: $10.00 per hour with no grace period available, up to a maximum of $240. After 24 hours of being late the laptop is considered lost.
- Lost or stolen laptop: $1,400. (This price includes all accessories.) If returned within 24
–hours, the lost laptop charge will be lifted, but the $240 late fee obligation, or any portion thereof, plus any applicable repair costs will remain.
- Damaged laptop: The full cost of repairs will be assessed by an IT technician, (up to a maximum of $1,400.)
- Lost or damaged accessories:
- Ethernet cable: $15.00.
- A/C adapter: $65.00.
- Carrying case: $30.00.
- Personal software may not be loaded onto the laptop computer at any time.
- Users must save work into a removable device; data will be purged when the system is turned off.
The Library is not responsible for any computer viruses that may be transferred to, or from, a user’s disk or network account.
rev. October 20, 2022