Printing & Design Services are available to the TCNJ community and general public. We offer a variety of services in PDS and our trained staff can assist with your project. Everything in the lab is self service and the only fee is for the materials that are used.
If you are too busy and don’t have time to do it yourself, we will do it for you for a 10% drop off fee.
COSA and MUSE Poster Creation Guide
Under “Design ” choose slide size then “Custom” and enter 36 inches (HEIGHT) x 48 or 54 inches (WIDTH) or other dimensions as suggested. The maximum height available is 36 inches for the printers in ITS, lower level of the library. On this one “slide” you can make text boxes, regular boxes, import pictures or graphics, and import figures (graphs). For images and graphs, be sure to save them all as individual jpg’s or png’s, then insert them into PowerPoint to avoid any printing issues.
- Titles, authors, institutional address.
- Results – includes figures (and perhaps tables if appropriate), any statistics, and text that is attached to each figure to communicate the result.
For all sections, try to minimize the amount of text you use. Bulleted list are great.
Suggested design elements:
- Only use design elements that help to communicate about the study – do not choose anything fancy just because it is a cool thing that PowerPoint can do.
- Keep it crisp, simple, and organized; minimize the number of different boxes you use.
- Choose a nice color for the background.
- Surround each section with a box with a bold, dark outline and make the background of the boxes white or a very light color, or use some other technique that makes the sections of the poster distinct. Every element on the slide has formatting options in PowerPoint, for color, line thickness, etc. Just right-click the element to get to the formatting option.
- Make the internal margins for text boxes 0.3 inches.
- Suggested font sizes (for Times New Roman; if you use a different font then use a size that is similar to these upon printing:)
- Title – 88, bold
- Names and address – 72
- Abstract heading – 54, bold
- Abstract text – 24
- All other headings – 72, bold
- Regular text – 32
- Caption text – 28
- Align all elements. Under “View,” choose “Grids and Guides,” and choose “Display grid on screen.” You may want to choose “Snap objects to other objects” to help you align, or you may do it by eye with the grid to help you.
- Keep margin widths in between the boxes equal.
- To use the large format printers in the lower level of the library, room 4, complete the online request form attaching your .pptx or .pdf file.
- Make CERTAIN that your poster file is ready to print – check the spelling, poster size and zoom in to make sure no text is getting cut off. ALL prints will be converted to pdf for printing.
- Plan as far ahead as possible for printing to ensure getting your poster on time for your presentation
PLEASE NOTE: 36″ is the maximum width that can be printed – the length can be longer
Printing and Design Services recommends that you budget at least two hours per large print job to ensure a satisfactory result.
Large Format Printing
Printing and Design Services has two different size format printers:
- 24” – size can be set to 24″ wide but will have a small white border around the image when printing – can be laminated
- 36” – size can be set to 36” wide but will have a small white border around the image when printing – can be laminated
Files in the following programs can be enlarged proportionately from 8.5” x 11”:
If you already have files formatted for large format printing (high resolution, large size), they can be printed from the following programs:
Colors may vary when printing from the large format printers. Blue is especially prone to printing with a large amount of magenta in it. Therefore we recommend using the following codes for dark blue: RGB 0- 86-172 or CMYK 95-73-0-0.
Creating posters using PowerPoint:
- Using sizing listed above
- Maximum PowerPoint length is 56” – for larger length posters, cut your required dimensions in ½ and we will double them to print, for example (desired size = 36 x 72, set up page as 18 x 36 and we print at 200%)
- You can also search online for free PowerPoint templates to download, being sure to keep the maximum dimensions in mind
Two ways to input data:
- Insert text box and type in information – you can right mouse click on the box to adjust the box size or format the text box to allow for the wrap feature
- Copy and paste information from another program by selecting desired data, copy and use the “paste special” feature to put into PowerPoint.
- The data can then be moved/resized to fit
- Use the zoom feature (100%) to determine font size
- Print time varies depending on ink color, usage and size. Please allow 30 min to 1 hour for set up and print during normal times (2 hours during high demand times)
- Up to 36” wide
- Poster must dry before being laminated – at least 30 minutes, preferably 2 hours
CD / DVD Burning
We offer CD / DVD burning and duplication. If you need assistance, large or small – we’d be happy to help!
- Blank CD’s are $2.00 each.
- Blank DVD’s are $5.00 each.
- $1.00 per disc duplication charge if you supply your own.
- We have paper labels available.
- Charge purchases to your department or pay with cash.
- Please allow 48 hours for larger jobs to be completed.
If you have a large printing job and you are unable to complete it yourself, come and see us!
- We have a color laser printer
- Large format inkjet printers
- Color desk top inkjet printers
- Photo quality papers 4 x 6 to 11 x 17
- Print on own paper
- Color Copier
- Bi and Tri Fold brochures
- Booklet printing
- Double sided sheets – stapled and collated
We have staff available throughout the day to accommodate your individual needs.
Digitizing Audio and Video
In PDS you can digitize audio or video using the computers available in the lab. We have cassette and vhs decks available to transfer your tapes onto the computer.
- Use the microphone with Audacity to create sound files
- Connect your camcorder to download video clips
- Edit the clips and create a movie using i-movie
- Take clips from your vhs tape
- Pull audio clips from your cd
If you prefer not to do it yourself we also offer any of the above as a drop off service for faculty and staff (fees apply)
Printing and Design Services can transfer home videos or any other non-copyrighted video from a VHS cassette to a DVD for a fee of $11.00
- This service may take up to a week to complete.
- By authorizing Printing and Design Services to complete any dubbing, customers release TCNJ staff from any damage that may occur to VHS tapes as a result of the dubbing process.
Video Streaming for Copyright films
- Unfortunately we can’t digitize full length films as it would be a copyright violation – to show films online through your Canvas courses please contact Katy Robinson to see if the library already has a streaming license or cam obtain one or get approval to digitize.
Faculty Loaner Program
As a current faculty member, you can borrow the following items from PDS to assist you in your classroom activities.
- Kindle & Kindle Fire
- Digital and Video cameras
- Sony Bloggie
- Flip camera
- Livescribe pen
- Voice recorder
- Media reader
- Web cam
- USB microphone
- USB headphone
Items can be signed out for one week at a time. When signing out you agree to be fully responsible for said item and all of its parts. If anything is lost or broken, full payment for a replacement is expected.
At PDS you can send and receive faxes.
The price is .50 cents for the first page and .25 cents for each additional page payable with cash or your get-it card.
If you plan on having a fax sent to you via PDS at (609) 637-5119, please stop in or call to let us know so we can contact you when it arrives.
Need a passport photo or a photo for grad school applications – we can help! It only takes about 10 minutes, so come on in!
We can take your picture and print out two passport size photos for $4.00.
Duplicate sheets are available at $1.00 each.
Scanning and Image Manipulation
Need something scanned or edited? You’ve come to the right place.
- Let us know what you will be doing with the scanned images so we know how to best scan and save them for you.
- Most jobs can be done within a day, but for extensive jobs, please allow 48 hours notice.